was successfully added to your cart.

Cart

#GivingTuesday is just four weeks from today! We will be spending every Tuesday leading up to the big day celebrating #ThankfulTuesday and dedicating our posts to appreciating groups and individuals who make our work possible.

Today, our focus is on Uweza Art Gallery. To date, with your support, we have generated just over 5,200,000 KSH ($52,000 USD) in art sales, 60% of which has gone directly to young artists in Kibera. The remaining 40% has sustained the gallery and the gallery is now 100% self-sustaining.

Youth unemployment is a major challenge in Kibera and by purchasing art, you ensure that youth artists are able to meet their basic needs AND pursue a career path that utilizes both their passion and talent.

Brian Ocholla is a fourth year student at Kenyatta University where he is working toward a Bachelors of Education (Fine Art and Design). He is also a talented artist and participant of Uweza Art Gallery.

He is thankful for Uweza because “it has been a stepping stone and mind-opening for me in pursuing my talent as an artist. I now really understand what art entails and am able to nurture my talent through the platform, resources, and market provided by Uweza. The money from my sales has helped me to cater for my basic needs. I would like to thank everyone who has supported Uweza for keeping the art spirit alive among youth in Kibera.”

Learn more about Uweza Art Gallery here: https://www.uwezakenya.org/our-work/uweza-art-gallery
Purchase Uweza artwork here: https://www.uwezakenya.org/product-catego…/uweza-art-gallery