Employment Opportunity: Development Manager
Uweza Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) based in Kibera, Nairobi. Founded in 2008, we serve over 300 families living in Kibera with a focus on improving the lives of children and youth in need. We provide our program participants with opportunities to pursue a path to a better future through the discovery and development of their own talents and abilities. Our programs include Uweza Art Gallery, Uweza Soccer Academy, academic scholarships, an empowerment group for young mothers, and a life skills club for girls.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as Development Manager based in Nairobi, Kenya. The Development Manager will develop and implement a comprehensive communications and fundraising strategy in conjunction with our team of staff, primarily the Executive Director and Country Director, and our Board of Directors. Our current funding sources are both within Kenya and outside of Kenya.
- Develop and implement annual fundraising/communications strategy for Uweza with the overall goal of developing new relationships with funders and strengthening currently existing donor relationships
- Research and cultivate potential partnerships/relationships with major donors, including individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Research potential grant and proposal opportunities and manage the process from preparation to submission of appropriate grants and proposals to potential funders in order to generate funding for Uweza programs
- Generate and maintain database of grant/proposal opportunities and submissions, evaluate submissions for reasons for success or failure, and utilize lessons learned for future proposal submissions
- Maintain donor database in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Participate in development of program and organization impact evaluations and use information obtained from impact evaluations to inform communication materials
- Coordinate and oversee creative new approaches to support the community we serve through innovative fundraising events that meet the needs of the current situations. For example, COVID-19
- Seek corporate sponsorships and partnerships, particularly for Uweza Soccer Academy
- Seek new markets, both within and outside of Kenya, and develop marketing strategy for sales of artwork generated at Uweza Art Gallery
- Source stories and content for communications from our staff and program participants in line with fundraising strategy and provide guidance on appropriate channels where stories should be shared
- Manage, plan, and source content for digital communications, including website and social media and, where appropriate, generate press releases for programs and initiatives in order to gain greater exposure for Uweza both locally and internationally
- At least 3 years direct experience working in fundraising and grant management process with an NGO (required)
- A proven track record of successful fundraising for an NGO or similar organization (required)
- Strong verbal and written communication and storytelling skills (required)
- Bachelor’s Degree (required) in relevant field including Business Management, Business Administration, Communications, Marketing, or Community Development (preferred)
- Previous experience researching and applying for grants and overseeing the process of managing and reporting on grants
- Knowledge of and experience with the Eastern Africa media landscape
- Deadline-driven, self-motivated and able to work independently
- Tech savvy, experienced with social media content management and website development and management
- Knowledge of and experience with corporate funding landscape/CSR in Kenya
- Analytical and strategic planning skills
- Fluency in English required, fluency in Kiswahili strongly preferred
This is a full-time, salaried position based in Nairobi, Kenya. Applicants must be able to work remotely at least part of the time.
All applications must be received on or before 10th December, 2022. Late applications will not be considered. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.